Sunday, July 7, 2013

D.C. Day 1

All that we've been preparing for is finally here!  I'm hoping I'll be able to keep up on a daily journal of our trip.  Today we met at the SLC airport at 8:00 am.  As we were headed through security, I thought we'd said goodbye to all the parents, but just a couple minutes later, they appeared again, taking more pictures.  They were definitely stalking us.  Jenny did her best to hold back her tears, and I gave the boys a final warning that I would tolerate NO crying on the trip.  If anyone was caught crying, they'd be sent to the bathroom where all the open mouth chewers go.



Poor Marshall got his bag searched at security, and it didn't take long for someone to roll their eyes at us as James was being "inappropriate" on the moving walkway.  People are so uptight.


Our flight was... not great.  1) There was a crying baby in front of us that made me question why parents just don't benedryl their kids prior to traveling.  It's just better for all of us...  2) I drank too much and had to use the airplane bathroom for the first time in my life.  It was a little traumatic for me, and I hope I never have to use it ever again.  3) There WAS a funny moment where the flight attendant was talking to James, and asked him if we had a little kid on our team.  He said he didn't think so, and she kept telling him how she was about to give a toy to a little kid, but noticed he was wearing the same training top and stopped herself.  She was shocked to find out he was 15.  Maybe we'll have to draw a mustache on Marshall before Friday's flight to Spain.  

We made it safely to Baltimore, and the families the boys were staying with were there waiting for us.  They all seemed really nice, and the boys were excited to meet new people.  


Coach Neil picked me up, and took me to my hotel.  I got settled, did some work (yeah, I got an assignment), then met up with Coach Neil and Coach Felix, going over the itinerary for tomorrow and the trip.  It's so refreshing to be around high caliber soccer again.  

I texted the boys tonight, reminding them what they need to wear tomorrow, what they need to bring, and to write in their journals.  Yeah... no response from any of them.  We're going to have a chat tomorrow about responding so I know they got my message.  I'm trying to teach them to be a student of the game.  I hope they soak everything in.

My goal is to take this experience and educate Cache Valley.  There's so much out there that the valley refuses to see.  I'm so excited to be a part of this opportunity.

"There is no short cut to achievement.  Life requires thorough preparation."
-George Washington Carver

1 comment:

  1. Sly,

    This blog is an awesome way to keep up on what's happening with the trip. thanks for posting James' inappropriate photo on the walkway, that stuff makes me happy! I'm so happy that the boys get to experience this, developing new relationships, being around high caliber coaches, and getting to see the world. We feel so lucky that James has this association with you as a high caliber coach and the fact that you've presented him with this opportunity. The connections you have has made this all possible and I don't know that any other clubs could pull this off.

    Ryan & Tana Wardle

    ReplyDelete