Monday, July 8, 2013

D.C. DAY 2

Today was an adjustment day.  We trained from 2-5 on a turf field.  It was hot and humid.  My shins were sweating just standing there.  The boys did some technical work, some patterned plays, a little defensive training, and ended with a 15 minute scrimmage.



We talked extensively to the boys about the importance of communication.  I'll be blunt.  They really suck at it.  Hopefully it will continue to improve.  My advice to the whole group was to remember that each day we get a little bit closer to Spain, and to come a little more excited each day.  I hope by Friday, we won't be able to kick the smiles off their faces.

As far as the Utah boys, I pulled them aside after training and chatted with them.  I told them I care about them the most, and how I want them to get the most out of this experience.  That being said, they need to respond to my texts.  Come to find out, Brandon forgot his charger, and apparently Marshall brought his brother's phone.  Again boys.... information I need to know.  So here's an update from James and Alex.

The question/statement:

Sly: "Text me your favorite part from today."

James: "The scrimmage for sure.  Just to see the way the players played, and how I will work with them."

Alex:  "My favorite part was sitting in the shade and talking.  JK!  I enjoyed the one drill with the defense and splits."  "What challenged me was having to be patient not getting split, but when we did, having to turn right around and defend other people."

I gave both boys advice on how to improve their game.  For Alex, it's to stay more connected to his team offensively.  To be a little more aggressive and instead of directing the ball AROUND him, to direct and move the ball THROUGH him.  For James, it was connecting with the other forward more (assuming he'll play forward the majority of the time), or at least checking in with the other forward, and once he gets behind the defense to just finish.  If we were at ODP Region camp, that's all the Region coaches will evaluate.  Can.  He.  Finish?  It's a lot of pressure for sure, but that's the role of the forward.  Create goal scoring opportunities, and convert.

Tomorrow I'll tackle Brandon and Marshall.  Advice for Brandon... Clean up his first touch and be confident going to goal as an outside back.  I know he can rip a shot, and I'd like to see it in a game.  Advice for Marshall... Communicate and connect with his teammates.  He's so quiet and small, but he doesn't have to PLAY that way.  He's a gamer and not a trainer, and I hope to continue to change that.  If you don't train well, you can only get by for so long on the adrenaline of a game.  At some point, bad habits and technical deficits will become a liability on the field.

All in all, the Bayern boys showed fairly well today.  It really makes me proud of the hard work we've all put in together.  I know we'll always remember this summer.

For the rest of the night, Coach Neil took Nikki and I out on the town.  He's been raving about these Georgetown Cupcakes since he came to Utah, so we went out and got us some.


My cupcakes of choice... Toffee, Peanut Butter/Chocolate, Red Velvet, and Chocolate Mint Crunch.


We ate at a Portuguese Restaurant called Nando's Peri-Peri.  Delicious!


After dinner, we said "Cheers," and ate away.  I have to say, they were dang good cupcakes.  I could only eat the one, though.  I'll save the rest for tomorrow.


Neil took us on a tour through D.C. and the surrounding areas.  I never get out to the East Coast, so it was so much fun seeing new sites.  I'm hoping to get some good pics with the boys later this week.

Tomorrow should be a full day for everyone.  We'll be training from 9-12 and 2-5.  I'll be running a core workout, and I can't wait to kill the boys.  :)

"I believe success is preparation, because opportunity is going to knock on your door sooner or later, but are you prepared to answer that?"
-Omar Epps-

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Super jealous and wish I was there. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for great experiences and delicious cupcakes! Kimball wants me to tell you they beat Infinity 9-0 tonight. He says "this is going to an awesome season".

    ReplyDelete