Tuesday, July 16, 2013

MADRID DAY 4

Today was another great day.  It was easier for me to wake up, so I think I'm pretty well adjusted to the time change.  We met for breakfast first, then it was time for a room inspection for all the players.  We are demanding a high level of discipline from these boys, which includes keeping a tidy room and making their beds properly.  There was one room that had two of the goalkeepers in it, and holy cow did it stink!  Keepers!  Take care of your smelly gloves!

After room inspection, we headed out to the field.  The U19 National Team was training again, so we got to catch a little bit of that before training.  It's so much fun to watch them train, I couldn't get enough of it.  They did a possession drill I've done quite a bit with my teams.  It's refreshing to see how on track I actually am.  It's easy to get caught up on parent and player drama that  you lose sight of what you should be doing and play too much into trying to please people.  This trip has been such a reminder that when you try too hard, you lose sight of the most important things, which would be the simple basics.



I loved how when it came time for the players to move the goal, every single one of them grabbed a section and helped.  Teamwork should always be the way to get things accomplished.


We had a reminder session of the Principles of Defense and Attack.  I took the keepers and did some keeper training for a bit, before finishing the session off with offense vs defense.




Towards the end of training, the National Team was heading out and we were lucky enough to get a team pic with some of the players.  What an opportunity of a lifetime!


After training, we headed to lunch.  We had to once again address the players on being disciplined and NOT to bounce the balls on the concrete.  If we caught them, and it wasn't hard, they had to do 20 pushups.  It ruins the ball when you do that, these boys just don't get it.  One kid in particular really struggles with instructions and details.  He ended up having to do 65 pushups, and had a little bit of a breakdown.  He popped off to Coach Neil, and ended up losing his gear for being disrespectful.  Hopefully it all sinks in soon and he can earn his gear back.  I feel for the kid, but he is so oblivious to everything, and he won't learn if we don't have high expectations of him.

After lunch, we headed to the Ciudad de Futbol Museum which houses the 2010 World Cup, and Spain's two Euro Cup Trophies.  HOW AMAZING!!!  There aren't words to describe how cool this really is!


After the museum, we headed to Toledo.  I loved Toledo.  When I saw the view, I was amazed!  How awesome is this?!




James looked a little sad, so I asked Alex to give him a hug, and look!  Happy!



We went into the plaza and had a little free time to wander around all the tiny little streets.  We grabbed a bite to eat at a little pizza shop.  There was really no where to eat, so we just ate in the streets.


Alex was so excited to finally see Gatorade.


We wandered around for a bit longer, tried to go inside and see the Cathedral, but it was closed.  We came across a fun little candy store, though.


We headed back to the square to meet the team and get some ice cream.  While there, we ran into Juan and Carlos, our ITP guides.  I was talking to them a bit, and I have to say, they were quite impressed with my Spanish.  They said I speak very well and don't have much of an accent.  That was refreshing to hear, cause the last thing I want to do is sound too touristy.  I'll have to get a pic of them tomorrow.  I think Carlos is a mix between David Villa and Cesc Fabregas.

We headed back to the hotel, but still had a little time before debriefing the team, so Neil and I rocked off to decide if we were going back to the mall plaza to get shakes or an ice cream cone at Haagen Dazs.  I'm SO addicted to their Creme Brulee.  I hope ice cream twice a day doesn't kill me too bad while I'm here, ha ha.

We met with the team to go over tomorrow, and had a bit of fun with them.  It's nice that they're responding to the discipline.  Of course it's never perfect, but the boys are doing well.  We can't wait to see them play against a Spanish team tomorrow.  This will be a real test.

Funny things from today: 1- The boys ordering their dinner in Spanish, only to find out that the guy spoke English.  2- While walking, Marshall was talking to Alex, and ran right into a pole.  Good thing it was only chest high, but that was hilarious.  3- Brandon taking a picture with my iPad, when all of a sudden, says "Wait, now it turned black."  Everyone: "That's because your finger is over the lens."

There you go... that was our day.

"The will to win is nothing without the will to prepare."
-Juma Ikangaa

1 comment:

  1. Sly, this is the coolest experience! Way to go! This will make a memory of a lifetime for you and the boys. Way to make a difference! Toledo is beautiful.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete