Tuesday, July 9, 2013

D.C. DAY 3

Today was a killer day.  We started off on a "tempo run."  I thought I had some cool video from my Go Pro, but I'm not sure it turned out.  I think we ended up running about 2 miles total, and ended up at a little stream by accident.  We chatted a bit, constantly pushing the mental side of the game.  At one point, I was reflecting on my past, how starting a club was the scariest thing I've ever done, and how I'm responsible for everything that goes on.  It's my job as a Technical Director to educate my coaches and players and the best way to do that is through my own experiences.  My only hope is that the boys will realize what a great opportunity this is and that they'll get the very most out of it.



Don't ask my why, but I'm obsessed with my shin sweat.  I blame my friend Tara, who is obsessed with my back sweat, ha ha.  Anyhow, we were lucky to have overcast most of the day, but it was pretty humid.  My shins were dripping on an easy run at 9:00 in the morning.



 After the run, I took the boys through a core workout, and Coach Felix finished up with a technical session.  Then we ate a quick uncrustable snack (I love them a little more than I should), and walked 1.2 miles to the afternoon field where we ate our lunch and rested for a bit before the 2:00 session.


Brandon looks excited, I know...


At the 2:00 session, we handed out the training gear and enjoyed the drizzle.  Unfortunately by 4:00, it was hot and sunny again.  Today we worked on defending and the principles of defense.  I took the goalkeepers for a workout on catching the ball.  It was pretty fun, as I put them through some new drills.  I put the GoPro on one of the keepers, but I don't think it worked.  The settings are all messed up.  It's annoying.

Alex was NOT a fan of the sleeveless training jerseys.  Maybe he was just embarrassed of his tan line.  I have to say, he got worked over good during the session, and I was so proud to see how he took charge of the back line and raised the bar for himself.  After the last drill, he walked past me and said... "That was a hell of good training session."  I'm so glad he's here to experience such a high level of not only coaching, but demand from extremely committed players, and I can't wait to see how it changes his game for the better.




Before the boys scrimmaged, Coach Neil introduced us to Emile M'Bouh (center in blue), a former Cameroon National Team Player, who played in 2 World Cups and was Captain of his team.  I hope the boys recognize how amazing it is to meet someone of that caliber.  I'll admit, I kept an eye on his technical training session during the scrimmage.  It wasn't far off from what I do, but there's always a little twist that will open my eyes.


Another group shot in the boys' training jerseys.  This shot completed our 8 hour day of soccer.


Finally... time to EAT!  Coach Neil and I decided to go out with the Florida boys and Coach Felix.  We ate at TGI Fridays.  Yum, I know.  It was awesome to get to know the players more, and little Sam, who's 9 has been joining the sessions and getting such an amazing soccer experience.  This kid LOVES to play.  It's so awesome to see how he's developed such a passion at such a young age.



The Florida boys are Camilo, Tyler, Gianni, and Kyal.  While talking to the boys at dinner, it was interesting to hear their views of the days events.  Camilo mentioned how weird it was to run through the woods.  They don't have woods in Florida, and they never do core, apparently, ha ha.  Tomorrow we should be hitting D.C. with the Florida and Utah boys.  Yay!

Again, tonight I texted the boys the following:

Sly: "What was your favorite part of today?  What was the biggest challenge you faced today?  And how had today's training changed you?"

Alex: "My favorite part was the drill where Coach Neil had the defense play, because I thought that my communication was good, but he pretty much showed me there is much more.  The biggest challenge I faced today was having to make sure I gave good and proper instructions.  The training has changed me because today I really had to push myself through the not really pain, but more the fatigue."

James: "Favorite part of the day was yet again the scrimmage, because I was a lot more comfortable with my team... So, I talked more.  Most challenging was finding my desire to play soccer after the morning... I quickly found it."  

Sly: "I'm glad you found it.  Did you not like this morning?  Or just tired?"

James: "It's always the first few hours that is not favored.  You're just getting up from sleeping, and that's where you got to find it.  The motivation is there, but it's more as an individual mind set.  Today I had to tell myself that there is a reward after the running, the core, the technical, and the tactical... I look forward to tomorrow morning, so I can be excited for the end of it all, and play that scrimmage as a reward."

Apparently James is not a morning person and loves to scrimmage.  :)  He did have a killer assist to Gianni, though.  Tomorrow is offense and principles of attacking, so we'll really see it come together.  Of course, I didn't get a response from Brandon and Marshall.  I don't know what's going on, but those two are going to get an earful from me tomorrow.  They're missing out on the full experience.

Anyhow, that was our day.  I'm honestly looking forward to Friday.  These 8 hour days ARE rough, but like James said, there is that reward at the end.

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."
-John Ruskin

No comments:

Post a Comment