Sunday, July 14, 2013

MADRID DAY 2

Today was a fun day for everyone.  We headed out to the Real Madrid Training Facilities for the boys' first session.  They received their Real Madrid training kits, got changed, and hit the field.  The boys split into their teams and an Academy Coach ran a session for each team.  I don't know if they were still suffering from jet lag or what, but both teams were edgy with each other, getting after one another for bad passes, or not getting open, or not moving fast enough.  It was a little funny.

The 15's are looking pretty sharp.


SDI Coaches and the Real Madrid Academy Coaches.



We were on field 10!


After the first training session, we broke for lunch.  It was pretty gross.  They packed a couple of sandwiches for us, but by the time lunch came around, they were soggy.  While at lunch, though, we saw a white Audi drive past and the guy inside looked like Cristiano Ronaldo.

After lunch, we went on a tour of the facilities.  The staff said the Manager, Carlo Ancelotti was there, so we were limited on the places we could go.  We toured the locker rooms, the 2nd team field, their fitness room, indoor training room, medical section, and their press room.


At 2:00, the boys' second session started, and they felt more at ease.  The coach had the 15's do a fun drill where the boys had to play holding someone's hand.  It was pretty funny to watch.  Some kids got dragged, some got plowed over, some belted with the ball.




Before we boarded the bus back to our hotel, we got a quick shot of the fountain in the front.  This is one of my favorite pics from the trip so far.


I actually got a run in before we headed off to the mall for dinner, which was nice.  It was some good reflection time for me.  While running, I ran passed a couple of basketball/futsal courts.  Players in Europe are so good, because soccer is a way of life for them.  You don't see futsal courts back home.  Could you imagine if our country embraced the game more and it became more of our lifestyle?  We might finally be able to compete with these countries.



So at dinner time, Neil and I decided to start a new Spain tradition, where we eat an ice cream cone before dinner.  Haagen-Dazs has this amazing creme brulee ice cream.  I'm addicted.  We then ate at some Turkish restaurant, which was... okay, but not great.  I was starting to get sleepy, so I decided to walk around and that's where I met up with the boys at an American Restaurant.  They tried to go to the Chinese buffet, but they kept changing the opening time.  Restaurants here open late for dinner.  Anyway, it was nice to spend some quality time with them and catch up.  Here's the highs and lows for today...

Sly: "So what was your favorite part of today?  What was your favorite moment?  And what was your least favorite thing?"

Alex:  "Knowing that I was training where the Madrid players play... training at the Real Madrid facility."  "Best moment???  I really actually liked when we were playing 6v6, but we had to hold hands with another player."

Sly:  "That was your best moment?  Holding hands with another guy?"

Alex:  *Laughs "No, it really made it fun.  Like, it was different.  It was a challenge.  You were with one person who saw a different run from what you thought would have been a good run, so it was different.  I liked it."

James: "Favorite part was visiting the Real Madrid Academy."  "Favorite moment was probably doing that drill shooting, when you make your shot, you move to the next level.  I liked making my first shot, because I felt like I was on top of the world."  "Least favorite part was the first time I got on the field, I was so excited to play that I slipped twice on the same knee, so it's bloody."

Marshall:  "Favorite part of today was getting my new training gear.  Favorite moment about today was making my one shot in the drill where you move up to the next level."  "My least favorite part of today was......"

Alex:  "Getting nutmegged by Camilo?  Like what? TEN times?!"

Marshall:  "It was only threeee."

Sly:  "MARSHALL!  Close your legs, buddy!"

Brandon: "My favorite part about today was touring the Real Madrid Academy."  "My favorite moment was a half volley upper 90 goal during the scrimmage."  "My least favorite part would be probably having to mark one of the older dudes (academy coaches)."

Sly: "Because they were good?"

Brandon:  "They just plow right over you."

Alex: "Did you see me have to defend that one keeper guy?  I was like... what do I do?  He's going to school me."  "My least favorite part was probably having to defend him.  I was like, sitting there, dancing around."

I actually got video of this conversation, which is funnier to watch, but I couldn't get it to upload.  They were cracking me up.  The boys then asked me about tomorrow morning, and if we were really running.  I told them we weren't, we changed the plans.  We have too many minor injuries.  This was James' response.

James:  "Good, cause I can't bend my knee because it's tight from the turf burn, and if we were gonna run, I was gonna have to... cry it out."

Tomorrow we tour Madrid in the morning & afternoon before their evening training session.  It'll be a nice break from the two-a-days.  Can't wait to see more of the city.

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination, and hard work."
-Colin Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment