Wednesday, July 10, 2013

D.C. DAY 4

Today was yet another tough day.  It rained last night, so fortunately we didn't go on the trail run (I was worried about dirtying up my shoes).  Coach Neil ran some team building exercises, though, that were pretty hilarious.  He did a little strength stuff, where the boys had to carry each other and do squats and what not.

Pic 1: James looks a little comfortable.


Pic 2: James no longer looks comfortable.


Pic 3: Brandon was a machine!


Pic 4: Even Marshall was getting it done.


It's nice to see I've prepared these boys well.  After strength training, Coach Neil did another team building exercise where the boys had to be directed to a certain location basically blindfolded.  At one point, Coach Neil was in James' face shouting at him to do anything but what Alex was trying to get him to do.  Of course Coach Neil's voice won out and James ended up far from where he was supposed to be.  This was a fun trust exercise, and definitely entertaining for us coaches.

James wasn't the only one Coach Neil harassed.  Shashank was pretty hilarious too.


Next was my time with the boys, where I could do my special CAF Training.  The plan was to physically and mentally challenge the boys.  I did a little interval training session working on all 3 planes of motion, cardio, and core, and finished up with "Gears," where I work on their changes of speed.  

You should all be afraid... I'm in hard core mode!


Don't be fooled.  I mixed up the uphill sprints every time.  This pic they have to sprint up backwards, and back down forward.


You gotta love the sight of sweat dripping.  This is Tyler, one of the Florida boys.


The final round of core.  I think this is the most core work some of the boys have ever done.


I finished my session with my "Gears" exercise.  I set up five cones all 10 yards apart.  I designate each area between cones a certain "gear."  The whole point is to get the boys to learn how to change their speed.  You can't just play in one speed the entire game.  You've got to be able to explode and slow it down when needed.  Today's pattern was 2-3-1-4, where they'll go 50%-75%-25%-100%.  


 It was funny, because after my session, some of the boys asked me how much worse it would be if I was mad at my team.  I then had to explain "The Wrath of Sly," and that yes... it can get so much worse.

Coach Felix ran another quick technical session, and we broke for lunch.  We walked to the mall to eat, let the boys wander for about 30 minutes, then it was on to the turf field.  Today was a lot hotter than yesterday on the turf.  I ran the technical session for the afternoon.  I worked on touch, doing my juggling the field, a little moving cadence, then my bread and butter speed of play 10-yard box, where we use two soccer balls and you have to pass across diagonally, then receive for the next player in the middle.  It's one of my favorite activities.

Coach Neil took over from there, and we worked on the attacking principles today.  We finished with the same offense/defense activity from yesterday, but focused on attacking.  

After training, it was supposed to be my time with the Utah boys and the Florida boys joined our group.  Our first stop was Georgetown Cupcakes again.  The line was backed up around the corner, which is so crazy.  While waiting in line, though, we made two significant observations.

1) Gianni and James are shin twins.  We all agreed their legs are so identical, ha ha.


2) Tyler (in pink) looks just like Jacob Gibbons aka "Gibson", who used to play with the '98 boys.  They even smile the same, it was crazy, ha ha.  We miss you Gibson!


We finally got inside and I got the boys each a cupcake, which they loved.  You can't tell here, but Alex is more than excited for his blueberry cheesecake "cupcake".


Me and the Utah and Florida boys. 


Now... this is where our evening went downhill.  After we got our cupcakes, Coach Neil took us to a sandwich shop on the Georgetown University campus called Wisemiller's "Wiseys".  When we got there, that's when the thunder storm started and it began to pour.  That meant we didn't get to go to the Lincoln Memorial.  That was the one thing I wanted to do with the boys, but the weather won.  We ate our sandwiches and headed back to my hotel.  Night over, pretty much.

Things I learned, though...  1) Marshall has developed a gambling problem and apparently lost a game of poker and has to buy Evan something in Spain.  2) Brandon STILL doesn't have his phone charger.  I take that back... he received it tonight.  3) Shashank's dad brings Alex a cup of hot chocolate when he goes in to wake him up.  Then let's him know there's no rush... he has 30 more minutes before he needs to get out of bed.  Man, I need an alarm clock like that.  4) James and Jake are yelling through the walls to Jake's mom that they "aren't going to bed."  I think that's mostly Jake.

Of course, I try and break down the day with the boys.  Today's statement is pretty much the same as the other nights.

Sly: "What was your favorite part of today?  What was the biggest challenge you faced today?  How had today's training changed you?  And name a teammate you learned about today and what was interesting about him?"

Alex: "Same drill as yesterday, but today it challenged me more because the attackers had more knowledge on how to get right past us and it was a lot more tough than it was yesterday."  "Gianni was the player I got to know today.  He doesn't talk a lot at practice, but once I got to know him, he is pretty funny.  But I learned that he said before they went on a Spain diet, they would have pizza at least 5 out of 7 days a week at this house."

James:  "Rio, I learned about his background and how determined he is and the passion he possesses for the game."  "Favorite part of the day was going to get the cupcakes and finding my leg twin.  The biggest challenge of today was walking backwards, because Alex doesn't have much of a voice.  Today training changed my trust with this team."

Sly: "For the better or worse?"

James: "For the better.  They joke around, but when it's time, they quit.  I think as the Utah group coming from Spain, we should do that with our team.  Seriousness I favor because it gets the job done quicker which means more playing time.  It's the way I look at it.  Most kids my age don't look at the big picture, but you can see those kids who do look at the big picture, such kids like Rio.  He takes notes at games, shows up at practice, and obviously works on soccer outside of training.  The effort will show.  But I definitely think that the Bayern Club should get a grasp on respect for their coaches.  I learned to show more respect, respect it seems is everything."

We are 4 days into our Spain experience, haven't even gotten to Spain yet, and I've seen such a change in these boys.  The environment these boys are in right now, you can't get in Cache Valley.  I'm more and more impressed with these boys as each day goes by.  If only I can get Marshall to respond to his texts and Brandon to get his phone situation worked out.  I've got one more day to get those two straight.

One more full day before we leave.  I just hope tomorrow goes by fast.  These long days are brutal, but so valuable.  Luckily we get an extra hour and don't meet until 10:00.  We'll see how sore these boys are tomorrow.  :)

"Ability is what you're capable of doing.  Motivation determines what you do.  Attitude determines how well you do it."
-Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment